How can we help?

Change your company name

If you've changed your legal business name, follow the below steps to have this reflected in your Gusto account:

  1. Submit your name change to the IRS and relevant state agencies.
  2. Confirm with the IRS if this also requires a new Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).
  • If you're receiving a new FEIN, change your FEIN using these instructions
  • If you're using the same FEIN, send an email to and attach the correspondence from the IRS and state agencies showing this company name change.

Once we receive your request and correspondence attachment, we'll update the company name in your Gusto account.

Note: It is very important to send us documented correspondence from the IRS regarding this name change before we make the update in Gusto. Although some states aren't as strict, the IRS won't be able to match your tax payments and returns we send if the legal company name we use is not the same one filed with the IRS. We want to eliminate any room for error when handling your payroll.