How can we help?

Change your FEIN

If you've changed your business type, check with the IRS to see if this requires a change to your company's Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). You will also need to reach out to your state agency regarding this update to see if you need new state tax account numbers.

In order to generate the required tax filings for your old FEIN and new FEIN, two separate Gusto accounts are needed for each filing. Follow the below steps to set this up.

Step 1: Create a new Gusto account.

Step 2: In your new Gusto account, input your new company info:

  • Legal entity name
  • FEIN
  • State tax IDs and corresponding deposit schedules and rates
  • Company address (if changed)
  • New bank account (if changed)

We can assist with migrating employee info over to your new account as long as your employees haven’t changed work locations.

Step 3: Reach out to [email protected] with “FEIN Change” as the subject of your email. Let us know which employees you DO NOT want migrated over, if any, so we can make sure your account is accurate. 

  • Note: If you'd like to migrate employees sooner than the expected time frame for completion provided by our Care team, you can also onboard employees yourself.

We will also assist with suspending your old company account once we ensure all tax payments are correct.

Important: If you need W-2s generated for the account you're suspending, you will need to select that Gusto process quarterly and yearly filings, we will file returns for the current quarter and year-end with payroll amounts. We will also file any remaining quarterly returns for the year with $0 amount.

Note: If your benefits are managed by Gusto, please let us know in your email so we may put you in contact with our Benefits team so that your benefits are not terminated with your carrier. If you have any questions for our Benefits team they can be reached at [email protected].

Payroll, benefits, HR and more.