Manage leave with third party disability insurance
Once you have setup your third party disability policy in your Gusto account, you can track any qualified leave that your employees take. Leave can either be short term (typically less than a year) or long term (typically more than six months) in nature. Check with your insurer to make sure your employee's leave is qualified under your plan.
It is important to track any payments made to your employees while they are on a qualified leave so Gusto can make the applicable tax payments and filings on your behalf.
Add an employee's leave
- Navigate to the People tab.
- Click on your employee's name.
- Navigate to the Benefits section of their profile.
- Click Manage Leaves.
- Click Add Leave to add a new leave period.
- Enter a start date for your employee's leave.
- Enter a reason for the leave for your records.
- During their leave, you can track any payments made by your policy for tax purposes. When your employee returns to work, you can also set an end date.
- Click Save.
- Your employee's leave will now appear in their profile.
Track your employee's payments during their leave
- After you have added your employee's leave period using the above steps, click View next to the leave.
- Next to Source, upload the payment document from your insurance company.
- Click Save.
- We will process these payments for you and ensure they are taxed properly.
- If you’d like to review any payments entered, you can click on the payment number to generate a report.