Map Gusto departments to QuickBooks Online and Quickbooks Desktop Classes
Gusto teams and Quickbooks Classes often mirror each other. This means payroll expense information synced over through the Gusto/QB integration for a Gusto team would ultimately be tagged manually with a corresponding QB Class. The same expense account can be used for each team and have an assigned Class. This keeps the reports in QB much cleaner and easier to understand.
Set up the Gusto departments and QB classes sync
- Navigate to the Settings tab of your account.
- Click the Customization tab.
- Enable Gusto Departments.
- Add specific departments under the People tab and assign employees and/or contractors to the departments.
- Note: these departments can mirror your QB Classes.
- Set up your QB Integration in the Settings tab under Integrations, connecting the company Gusto account to its corresponding QB Account.
- Select your expense accounts under Default Account Mapping.
- Map the Teams or Departments to your QB classes under Class Mapping.
- Save the mappings.
- Process a payroll. Select sync to send the entry into QB if auto-sync is not enabled.
- Pull up the Journal Entry in QB in the bank register.
- The expense and liability line items will now be tagged with a QB Classes based on the mapping selections from step 5.
I have two departments set up in Gusto, one for my engineering team and one for my marketing team. I have two QB Classes I am using to categorize my expenses in QB, an "engineering" class and a "marketing" class. When using my Gusto and QB integration, I'd like the payroll expense detail which syncs in my Journal entry (i.e. regular wages, employer taxes, benefit expenses) for my engineering team and marketing team to be tagged with their corresponding classes automatically.
In Gusto under my integration settings, I can now add team mappings for my engineering and marketing teams. Once they have been added, I can select a QB class for each team. The “engineering” class for my engineering team mapping and the “marketing” class for my marketing team. When my payroll detail syncs to QB from Gusto, the classes will be included in the entry based on my selection.