Map Gusto departments to Xero tracking categories
Gusto Departments and Xero Tracking Categories often mirror each other. This means payroll expense information synced over through the Gusto/Xero integration for a Gusto Department can be tagged with a corresponding Tracking Category.
Setup the integration
- Enable Gusto Teams and Departments by clicking Settings then Customization.
- Add specific departments under the People tab and assign employees and/or contractors to the departments. These departments can mirror your Xero Tracking Categories.
- Setup your Xero integration by clicking Settings then Integrations, connecting the company Gusto account to the corresponding Xero Account.
- Select your accounts under Default Account Mapping.
- In the Xero Tracking Categories section, map your Departments to your Xero Tracking Categories.
- Save the mappings.
View synced information in Xero
- Process a payroll.
- Select sync to send the payroll entry into Xero (if auto-sync is not enabled.)
- In your Xero account, pull up the Bill on the dashboard under Bills you need to pay.
- The line items will now be tagged with Xero Tracking Categories based on your mapping selections.
- Any employees or contractors not on a designated team or department will not have their corresponding payroll expense amounts tagged with a tracking category option.
- Previous payrolls can be re-synced with the Xero tracking categories, but any previously reconciled Bills will need to be voided to avoid duplicate entries.