What’s a W-2 and why do I need to know about it?
Companies use W-2s to tell the IRS the earnings, deductions, and withholdings for each of their full-time employees. You’ll need to provide each employee with a copy of the form and submit all your W-2s to the Social Security Administration by January 31st, 2018.
Do I need to file a W-2?
If you’re an employer, you need to file W-2s for each one of your employees. Your team will then use copies of the form to file their taxes.
What you need on hand when you’re ready to file
You’ll need your Employer ID Number (FEIN), company name, and company address. Once you have that down, you’ll need each employee’s full name, address, and Social Security number. You’ll also need to have the total amounts of everything you paid and withheld in taxes for each person on your team. Then head on over to the SSA website to complete your filing.
How to fill out your W-2
- Enter your Employer ID Number, company name, and company address
- Enter your employee’s name, address, and Social Security number
- Enter the wages, tips, and other compensation you paid each employee last year
- Enter the separate amounts of Social Security wages, Medicare wages and tips, and Social Security tips
- Enter the totals for nonqualified plans, each type of tax withheld, and any tips earned
- For boxes 12-14, be sure to read the IRS instructions
Craving more info? It’s important to get your W-2s right. Reach out to a tax specialist or CPA if you have any lingering questions.