What is a QLE (Qualifying Life Event)?
QLE stands for Qualifying Life Event, and it is an event in your life that allows you to make changes to your health insurance policy. If you're experiencing a QLE, you're eligible for a special enrollment period which would otherwise be fixed and closed until your current plan is up for renewal.
Some common examples of QLEs are:
- Marriage, divorce, or legal separation.
- Death of a spouse or child, change in dependents.
- Change in residence or work location that leads to a change in your benefits eligibility.
- Change in employment that leads to a gain or loss of health insurance coverage.
- Aging out of coverage if you are a dependent on another plan.
It’s important to remember that you will need a valid form of proof to show that you have a QLE. For more information on what is considered a valid form of proof for your event, check out our chart here. For any and all questions about your coverage and QLEs, make sure to contact your health insurance broker.