Add custom earning types
Rather than limit yourself to our standard earning types - like bonus, tips, and commission - you can create a custom earning type and name it whatever you like. These will be treated as supplemental wages that are separate from regular wages. Some examples of when you might use a custom earning type include a signing bonus or severance pay.
You can create one or many custom earning types in your Gusto account. The earning type(s) will be available for all employees on all payroll runs.
Add a custom earning type
- Click the Settings tab.
- Click the Customization tab.
- Click edit next to Custom Earnings Type.
- Toggle to Enable.
- Click Save.
- You should now see a Custom Earnings Type headline on your Settings page.
- Click Add Custom Earnings Type.
- Name your wage (earnings type).
- This title will appear on employee pay stubs and in your reports.
- Click Save.
- You will now see the custom earnings type you created in the Additional Earnings column when entering wages in a regular, off-cycle, or bonus payroll.
Note: If other already existing earning types have been used in the past, the new custom earnings type may appear within "Other Earnings" in the dropdown elections.
Q: Can I edit the name of an earning type or disable an earning type after it's been created?
Q: If I disable an earning type will it still appear on employee paystubs and in reports?