Add your independent contractors
Once you have added at least one W-2 employee to your account, you can add independent contractors to process their payments and generate 1099 forms at year end.
- Click the People tab.
- Click Hire.
- Click Add a contractor.
- Select if this is an Individual or Business contractor type.
- Enter the contractor's details such as name, compensation information, and email address.
- Note: If you elected Individual as the contractor type, you may be asked to answer additional questions about new hire reporting, their primary work state, and hire date.
- At the bottom, select: Yes. Email the contractor requesting their details.
- Click Save and Continue.
- Your contractor will receive an email requesting them to add their SSN/TIN (for an individual) or EIN (for a business), home address, and payment information for a direct deposit or check. When this is completed, you will be notified and can start paying them through Gusto.
Note: If you wish to enter all of their information yourself, unselect Yes. Email the contractor requesting their details and proceed with entering their SSN/EIN, address, and payment info.
Once you've added a contractor, you can use the people search bar at the top of your account to search for members of your team.