Get started: Add employees
Step 1. Add your employee’s details
- Click the Get Started tab.
- Click Step 2: Add Your Employees.
- Enter your employee’s basic information:
- Full legal name
- Hire date
- Manager (managers must have a Gusto employee account and email address)
- Risk class code (only with an integrated Workers' Compensation plan)
- Work address
- Email address
- Optional: Enter the employee's title
- Classify your employee's compensation type.
- Enter the amount of money they'll earn.
- Select the frequency of payment.
- Optional: If you'd like to set up a time off policy, use the links provided to get started. Then apply the policy to your new employee.
Once your employee has been added, you can search for members of your team on the employee search bar, which will take you directly to their employee page.
Step 2. View employee documents to be signed
- Review the following documents that we’ll ask your employee to sign within their Gusto account:
- Form W-4: Employee Tax Withholding Allowance
- Employee Direct Deposit Authorization
- Form I-9: Employee Eligibility Verification (only for new employees whose start date hasn’t already passed)
- Click Save and Continue.
If your employee’s start date is in the past, we won’t ask your employee to complete Form I-9 since this is a new hire form. Make sure to fill out Form I-9 and keep it for your records outside of Gusto if this document has not been completed for your employee.
Step 3. Select your employee welcome options
If your employee’s start date is in the past, we won’t ask you to select any welcome options since your employee has already began working.
- Select if you want your new employee to receive an email reminder to bring their I-9 materials and a welcome note the day before they start work.
- Click Preview card to see what it'll look like before you send it.
- Click Save and Continue.
- If you have more employees to enter, click Add Another Employee. If not, click I've Added All Current Employees.
What's next? After your employee has finished entering their information, you’ll receive a sticky note and email notification to review and approve their details. If you added newly hired employees, you’ll be notified to complete their Form I-9 details on their start date.
Note: If you don't want your employees inputting their own information, simply unselect Invite this employee to enter their own details. You'll then be able to enter all of your employee’s personal, tax, and payment details to bring them on board. We’ll still generate Form W-4 and the authorization form for direct deposit, but you’ll need to fill out Form I-9 outside of Gusto.