Get started: Add employees
Step 1. Add your employee’s details
- Click the Get Started tab.
- Click Step 2: Add Your Employees.
- Enter your employee’s basic information:
- Full name
- Start date
- Manager (User must have a Gusto employee account and email address to be a manager)
- Risk class code (only with an integrated Worker's Compensation plan)
- Work address
- Email address
Note: If you have benefits with Gusto and your new teammate is eligible to participate, mark them as Full-time in the Compensation section. This will trigger the system to administer benefits.
Step 2. View employee documents to be signed
- Review the following documents that we’ll ask your employee to sign within their Gusto account:
- Employee Direct Deposit Authorization
- Form W-4: Employee Tax Withholding Allowance
- Form I-9: Employee Eligibility Verification (Only for new employees whose start date hasn’t already passed)
- Click Save and Continue.
If your employee’s start date is in the past, we won’t ask your employee to complete Form I-9 since this is a new hire form. Make sure to fill out Form I-9 and keep it for your records outside of Gusto if this document has not been completed for your employee.
Step 3. Select your employee welcome options
If your employee’s start date is in the past, we won’t ask you to select any welcome options since your employee has already began working.
- Select if you want to receive an email reminder about your new employee a week before they start.
- Select if you want to send a digital welcome card. We’ll send the card a week before the employee’s first day for your team to sign. As long as at least one person has signed, we’ll send it to your new employee on their first day of work. If you’d like to see what it will look like, click See welcome card example.
- Select if you want your new employee to receive a welcome email the day before they start.
- Include a personalized message in the welcome email to help your new employee feel prepared on their first day of work.
- Company parking or commuting info
- What time they should arrive
- Schedule for their first day
- Company dress code
What's next? After your employee has finished entering their information, you’ll receive a sticky note and email notification to review and approve their details. If you added newly hired employees, you’ll be notified to complete their Form I-9 details on their start date.
Note: If you don't want your employees inputting their own information, simply unselect Invite this employee to enter their own details. You'll then be able to enter all of your employee’s personal, tax, and payment details to bring them on board. We’ll still generate Form W-4 and the authorization form for direct deposit, but you’ll need to fill out Form I-9 outside of Gusto.