Suspend your Gusto account
We're sorry to see you leave. If you need to suspend your payroll or cancel your account:
- Click the Settings tab.
- Click Suspend Company Payroll.
- Let us know if you will be using a different provider or if you will no longer be processing payroll.
- Confirm which returns and outstanding taxes you want Gusto to file or refund to you.
- Click Continue.
- Let us know why you're leaving and how we can improve.
- Click Continue.
- Re-enter your company's name to confirm the suspension.
- Click Suspend Company.
- Your final invoice will be for the month you entered the suspension or for the month of your last check date (whichever is later).
Note: If your benefits are managed by Gusto and you choose to suspend your account, your benefits will not automatically be terminated. If you would like to cancel your company's benefits in addition to your Gusto account, reach out to our Benefits Care team at email@example.com and let us know. Once you submit a request to terminate group coverage, we'll submit the necessary paperwork to the carrier on your behalf.
Questions and Answers
Q: What happens to my account once it's suspended?
A: Once your account is suspended, you'll still have unlimited access to your Gusto account to view company forms, reports, employee information, and past payrolls that were run through Gusto. Employees and contractors will also still be able to log into their own accounts to view their paystubs and forms.
Q: Which returns will Gusto file?
A: If you select for Gusto to process quarterly and yearly filings, we will file returns for the current quarter and year-end with payroll amounts. We will also file any remaining quarterly returns for the year with $0 amount.
However if you select for Gusto to process quarterly filings only, we will only file returns for the current quarter at the time of suspension. We will stop filing all returns moving forward.
Q: Will you mark my returns as final?
A: When you suspend your account you must select a reason for suspension. If you select "My company was acquired/is shutting down" or "No more employees to pay via payroll" all of your returns will automatically be marked as final.