Change your benefits
Qualifying life events (QLEs) are moments in life that allow you to have a special enrollment period, outside of a company's annual open enrollment. Most QLEs qualify for a 30 day special enrollment period (birth of a child has a 60 day window). This means that you have 30 days from the date of the event to enroll. Some examples include:
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Marriage or divorce
- New employment or loss of a job
- Moving out-of-network, resulting in loss of coverage
Customers who have benefits managed by Gusto can make those changes directly on their employee account. Here's how:
- Click the Benefits tab.
- Click Change my benefits.
- Select the reason you need to make changes from the drop down menu and the date of the event. Remember, you must submit your enrollment within 30 days of the event date. Click Save & Continue.
- Add your dependents (if you have any). Click Save & Continue.
- On the following page, you will choose your benefits. Click Pick a Plan for each benefit available and click Select for the specific plan you want to enroll in. Remember, if you have dependents you would like covered, make sure their name is selected as well. Learn more about how to enroll in benefits from our Help Center.
- Once you have finished selecting your plans, click Save & Continue.
- Enter extra information on the following page and click Save & Continue.
- Click +Add Proof to upload a document proving that you are eligible for this change. Remember, this proof is a critical piece to completing your enrollment so make sure to upload a valid document proving this QLE. When you're finished, click Continue.
- Confirm your enrollments click Sign Form beside each enrollment. Draw your name in the signature field and click the box beside where it says "I agree to electronically sign this form," then click Save. Once each form has been signed, click Confirm Enrollment.
Once you've finished, we'll prepare your paperwork and send your changes to the health insurance carrier. Once the changes have been processed, you will see them reflected in your Gusto account.
Questions & Answers
Q: Why is the system asking about waiver info if I am enrolling?
A: Certain carriers will ask for a waiver if a plan is offered but not chosen. You'll notice the waiver is for the carrier that you are not choosing.
Q: What happens if I miss the window to enroll?
A: If you get the error message because you have missed your window to make changes, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We can't guarantee that we'll be able to complete the request but we'll see if there's anything we can do.
Q: What kind of proof should I upload?
A: We need official documentation to supplement your enrollment. Examples include birth certificates, marriage licenses, and letters from former health insurance carriers proving loss of prior coverage. Use the flow chart below to help you determine what kind of proof you'll need.