Update your SUI rate
At the end of the year, state agencies send out new State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) rates for the upcoming year. If you receive an updated rate you must enter it into your Gusto account using the following steps.
- Click the Company Details tab.
- Click Manage Taxes under the applicable State Tax section.
- Scroll to State Tax Settings and click edit next to SUI Rate.
- Select to Add a new rate.
- Enter the number shown on the notice as a percentage rate. For example, if your notice says you have a rate of .055555, enter 5.5555%.
- Set the Effective Date to the effective date listed on your notice, typically the beginning of the current year or quarter (January 1, April 1, July 1, October 1).
- Note: If you're making this update after the deadline listed on the notice, you will be responsible for any penalties the agency applies to your account.
- Click Save.
Note: If you've entered the wrong SUI rate, please update this in your Gusto account as soon as possible. Before the end of the quarter, we will debit for any underpaid SUI tax amounts for payrolls run in the same quarter. The option to update your rate will only be available in states where you currently have active employees.