Add a payroll advance
Sometimes it may be necessary to give an employee money before they are paid on your company's regular payday.
Important: Before advancing pay, we reccomend getting the terms of repayment in advance and in writing, especially if the future reimbursement will bring an employee's pay below minimum wage.
Need help creating an agreement? Try our Concierge product plan and chat with Certified HR pros who can help.
To set up a payroll advance:
- Click the Run Payroll tab.
- Scroll to Other Payroll Options and click Run Off Cycle Payroll.
- Scroll the employee and click Enter Payment.
- Click Reimbursement.
- Type in the payroll advance amount.
- This should be the take-home amount.
- To change the payment method to check click on Direct Deposit to toggle.
- If you would like, click on Add Personal Note to add a note that this additional payment is an advance.
- Continue to process payroll.
- Once you've processed the payroll, set up a one-time post tax deduction for the amount of the reimbursement.
On the next payroll, the amount advanced (reimbursed) will be deducted from the employees pay and left in the company bank account.