Add a benefit
Note: This article is relevant to clients who use a third party to manage their benefits. If your benefits are managed by Gusto, your Medical, Vision, and Dental settings will be set up automatically.
Step 1. Add a company benefit
If you offer benefits to your employees, add it to your company with default contribution settings.
- Click the Benefits tab.
- Select a benefit from Health & Life, Transportation, Retirement & Savings, or Other to create a custom benefit that is not listed.
- Add a benefit name, which will appear on the employee's paystub.
- Next to Employee Deduction Per Pay Period, enter a default benefit amount or percentage that will be reduced from the employee's pay each payroll (if applicable).
- Next to Company Contribution Per Pay Period, enter a default amount or percentage that the company will be debited to contribute to the benefit (if applicable).
- Select if you are adding a default annual maximum amount for the employee deduction or company contribution (if applicable).
- Click Save & Continue.
- Select which employees should have this benefit.
- Click Save.
Note: Depending on the benefit you add, you may not have the option to enter a default employee deduction, company contribution, employee annual maximum, or company annual maximum amount.
If your employees will have different employee deduction and company contribution amounts, modify these settings for each worker.
- Click the Employees tab.
- Click the employee.
- Next to the benefit you created, click Edit.
- Modify the benefit details for this employee.
- Click Save.
The next time you run payroll we'll deduct the employee's benefit amount from their pay and leave the funds in your company's bank account. We'll also record the employee and company contributions on the paystubs. You can then pay all of the benefit contributions to your insurance carrier.
Don't see your benefit? Let us know! We're actively adding to a wide range of benefits that employers need to process with payroll.