Register in California
California tax agency
You will need to register with this agency in order for Gusto to file and pay your taxes.
- California Employment Development Department (EDD)
Set up an existing company
Income tax withholding and unemployment tax
Your EDD number will be an eight digit account number, format XXX-XXXX-X. If you already have an EDD number you can find it on form DE-9 or DE-9c. The UI rate for existing companies can range from 1.5%–8.2%. Need help? Contact the agency at (888) 745-3886.
Register a new company
- First enroll as a New User with the EDD e-Services for Business by clicking Enroll for a username and password.
- Once you are enrolled, log into your e-Services account to apply for an Employer Payroll Tax Account Number.
- Click New Employer and select Register for Employer Payroll Tax Account Number.
- Complete the registration process. You will be asked for information about your business and its operations in California.
- Here are a few tips for certain questions that may affect your payroll with Gusto:
- “First quarter your wages exceeded $100.” You may choose the prior quarter or current quarter. Gusto will only begin filing your taxes once you run a payroll with California wages. If you choose a prior quarter, you will be responsible for filing returns with the agency on your own in the interim.
- “Taxpayer Representative Contact Information." Do not add Gusto as a Taxpayer Representative.
- "Are you an authorized Payroll Agent?" Please select No.
- "Does this business use professional assistance for payroll reporting?" Please select Yes.
- "Agency where you want your tax mailings sent?" Please enter your own company name and mailing address. This ensures that your company receives any important communications from the EDD.