Add new employees
If you've hired a new employee, add them to your Gusto account to get them on payroll. This information will determine their taxes and help them get their payments on time.
Step 1. Add your employee’s details
- Click the People tab.
- Click Hire.
- Click Add an Employee.
- Enter in your employee’s basic information:
- Full name
- Start date
- Manager (User must have a Gusto employee account and email address to be a manager)
- Work address
- Email address
We'll email your employee asking them to finish entering their personal details and sign important documents.
Step 2. View employee documents to be signed
- Review the following documents that we’ll ask your employee to sign within their Gusto account:
- Form W-4: Employee Tax Withholding Allowance
- Employee Direct Deposit Authorization
If your employee’s start date is in the past, we won’t ask your employee to complete Form I-9 since this is a new hire form. Make sure to fill out Form I-9 and keep it for your records outside of Gusto if this document has not been completed for your employee.
Step 3. Select your employee welcome options
- Select if you want to receive an email reminder about your new employee a week before they start.
- Select if you want your new employee to receive a welcome email the day before they start.
- Add a personalized message in the welcome email to help your new employee feel prepared on their first day of work. This can include:
- Company parking or commuting information
- What time they should arrive
- Where they should arrive to be greeted
- Who they are meeting upon arrival
- Schedule for the day or week
- Company dress code
If your employee’s start date is in the past, we won’t ask you to select any welcome options since your employee has already began working.
What’s next? After your employee has finished entering their information, you’ll receive a sticky note and email notification to review and approve their details so that they are officially added to payroll. The day your new employee starts, you’ll see a sticky note and email notification to complete their Form I-9 details.
Note: If you don't want your employees inputting their own information, simply unselect Invite this employee to enter their own details. You'll then be able to enter all of your employee’s personal, tax, and payment details to bring them on board. We’ll still generate Form W-4 and the authorization form for direct deposit, but you’ll need to fill out Form I-9 outside of Gusto.