Add new employees
If you've hired a new employee, add them to your Gusto account to get them on payroll. This information will determine their taxes and help them get their payments on time.
Step 1. Add your employee’s details
- Click the People tab.
- Click +Hire.
- Click Add an employee.
- Enter in your employee’s basic information:
- Full name
- Start date
- Department (if enabled).
- Manager (user must have a Gusto employee account and email address to be a manager)
- Work address
- Email address
- Optional: Enter the employee's title
- Classify your employee's compensation type.
- Enter the amount of money they'll earn.
- Select the frequency of payment.
- Click Save & Continue
Step 2. Onboarding Documents
- Review the following documents that we’ll ask your employee to sign within their Gusto account:
- Form W-4: Employee Tax Withholding Allowance
- Employee Direct Deposit Authorization
If your employee’s start date is in the past, we won’t ask your employee to complete Form I-9 since this is a new hire form. Make sure to fill out Form I-9 and keep it for your records outside of Gusto if this document has not been completed for your employee.
Step 3. Select your employee welcome options
- Select if you want your new employee to receive an email reminder to bring their I-9 materials and a welcome note the day before they start work.
- Select if you want the rest of your team to sign a digital card for their new teammate that we'll send on their first day of work.
- Click Edit to choose who you'd like to sign the card.
- Click Preview card to see what it'll look like before you send it.
- Click Save and Continue.
If your employee’s start date is in the past, we won’t ask you to select any welcome options since your employee has already began working.
What’s next? After your employee has finished entering their information, you’ll receive a sticky note and email notification to review and approve their details so that they are officially added to payroll. The day your new employee starts, you’ll see a sticky note and email notification to complete their Form I-9 details.
Note: If you don't want your employees inputting their own information, simply unselect Invite this employee to enter their own details. You'll then be able to enter all of your employee’s personal, tax, and payment details to bring them on board. We’ll still generate Form W-4 and the authorization form for direct deposit, but you’ll need to fill out Form I-9 outside of Gusto.