Switch your contractor to an employee

Congrats - one of your contractors is becoming an employee! For federal employment tax purposes, you'll need to inactivate the contractor profile and create a new employee profile. There are only a few steps to making a successful switch:

  1. Make your contractor inactive.
  2. Add this worker as a new employee.

Note: If payments were made to the contractor this year, then they will receive both a 1099 form and a W-2 at the end of the year from Gusto.


Thanks so much for your feedback!

Did this article solve your problem?