Register in Texas
Texas Tax Agency
- Texas Workforce Commission - unemployment tax
Set up an existing company
The Texas Workforce Commission will issue you an account number and tax rate. The number will be 9 digits in the format XX-XXXXX-XX. It can be found on the Employer's Quarterly Report (form C-3).
Effective UI Rate: Your Texas Effective UI Tax Rate appears on the notice that you receive from the Texas Workforce Commission each year. It generally ranges from 0.59%–8.21% with a wage base of $9,000.
If you can't locate your account number or rate you can call the TWC at (512) 463-2731 or reach them by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register a new company
New employers in Texas are not be eligible to receive an Unemployment account number until they have paid $1500 in wages. If you have not yet met this threshold, please enter the new employer rate of 2.7% in your Gusto account and register as soon as you are able to.
- Register online by visiting the TWC website.
- You'll be asked a few simple questions about your company details. That includes company location, Federal EIN, Secretary of State ID, and important dates regarding your company's operations.
- You should receive your TWC Tax Account Number instantly after registering online.
- You will also receive your Effective UI Tax Rate. Generally, it's 2.7% for new employers. When entering this in your Gusto account, be sure to include all five component rates:
- General Tax Rate (GTR)
- Replenishment Tax Rate (RTR)
- Obligation Assessment Rate (OA)
- Deficit Tax Rate (DTR)
- Employment and Training Investment Assessment (ETIA)