Register in Georgia
Georgia tax agencies
- Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) - income tax withholding
- Georgia Department of Labor (DOL) - unemployment tax
Set up an existing company
If you've run payroll in GA before, you can find your withholding ID on any notice that you've received from the DOR. In order to determine what your most recent tax deposit amount was to the DOR you will need to login to your account here. For both of these you may also call the agency at (877) 423-6711.
Businesses that have run payroll in the past can find their DOL Account Number on notices received from the DOL.
Total Tax Rate: Your total tax rate can be found on the Employer Tax Rate notice that your business receives annually from the Department of Labor. It ranges from 0.04%–8.1% with a wage base of $9,500. You may also call the agency at (404) 232-3300 to get both your rate and your account number.
Register a new company
New company registration
Income tax withholding
- Register with the Georgia Department of Revenue online.
- Click Register a New GA Business to complete the registration process.
- You'll receive an ID that looks like XXXXXXX-XX. Once registered, you should receive your number instantly.
Most companies will be liable for state unemployment if they pay more than $1500 in a calendar quarter or have at least one employee/day in each of 20 different calendar weeks during a calendar year.
- Register online with the Department of Labor
- You should receive your account number instantly after registering online.
- For new employers in GA, your 2017 Total Tax Rate will be 2.70%. You can enter this in your Gusto account before you receive your UI account number.
The exception to this is nonprofit organizations, who must instead complete this form and mail it to the agency here:
Georgia Department of Labor, Suite 850
148 Andrew Young International Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30303-1751.
You should receive your account number in 3-4 weeks after mailing this form.
Troubleshoot Department of Revenue authorization issues
Some agencies require special authorization for Gusto to pay or file your taxes.
To ensure successful authorization, please verify that you have added the ‘withholding’ tax type to your account and that the following information you have entered into Gusto matches what is on file with the Georgia Department of Revenue:
- Withholding Account Number
- Zip Code
- Last amount paid to the Department of Revenue
If Gusto is having trouble gaining access to your account, please verify that the above information matches exactly what the agency has on file by giving them a call at (877) 423-6711.