Register in Ohio

Ohio Tax Agencies

  • Ohio Department of Taxation - income tax withholding
  • Ohio Department of Job and Family Services - unemployment tax

Set up an existing company

The Department of Taxation will issue you a withholding account number. This can be found on the Employer's Payment of Ohio Tax Withheld (Form IT-501), and it will begin with 51, 52, 53, or 54. If you're unsure of the number you can call the agency at (888) 405-4089. They will also issue you withholding deposit schedules based on the combined withholding tax liability (state and school district taxes) for the 12 month period ending June 30th of the previous year. You can find details about the deposit schedule on the Department of Taxation FAQ article here.

The Department of Job and Family Services will issue you a Unemployment Compensation Tax Account Number. You can find this on the Determination of Employer's Liability (form JFS 66314) or Contribution Rate Determination (form JFS 66314). You can also call the agency at (614) 466-2319 if you're unsure of your number. They will also issue you an Ohio Contribution, also known as the unemployment tax. This rate can be found in this year's Determination of Employer's Liability (form JFS 66314) or Contribution Rate Determination (form JFS 66314).

Register a new company

Income tax withholding

  1. Register with the Employer Resource Information Center (ERIC).
  2. You should receive your account number and deposit schedule instantly after registering online.
  3. Your account number will begin with 51, 52, 53, or 54.

Unemployment tax

Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they have one or more employees for part of a day in each of 20 different weeks in the current or preceding year or pay $1500 wages in any calendar quarter. You can check your liability and register online using the steps below.

  1. Register your business with the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.
  2. You should receive your number instantly after registering online, or 3-4 weeks if registering by mail.
  3. The unemployment rate for new employers is generally 2.70% (except for construction which is generally 6.20%). You can enter this rate in your Gusto account.

Third party agent - income tax

  1. Sign into the Ohio Business Gateway website.
  2. Click on the Administration tab.
  3. Scroll to the Group (Shared Access) Administration tab and click Create Group.
  4. In the Group Name field enter your official business name.
  5. Select Admin access for the following service areas:
    • Ohio Taxation - Employer Withholding
    • Ohio Job & Family Services - UC Tax
    • Municipal Taxation - Withholding Tax
  6. In the Service Provider/Representative ID field, enter Gusto's ID: F5F7925F1A. 
  7. Check the acknowledgement agreement box.
  8. Click Validate ID.
  9. Verify that ZenPayroll Inc (Gusto) appears as the service provider, and click Save.

Third party agent - unemployment tax

  1. Sign into your Employer Resource Information Center account.
  2. Navigate to the Manage My Account tab.
  3. In the Navigation Menu on the left, click Correspondence and Third Parties.
  4. Click Manage Service Functions.
  5. Select the Tax: Reporting and Payments box so that Gusto can file taxes on your behalf.
  6. Click Manage Association in the bottom right corner.
  7. Click TPA Search.
  8. Use the company name “ZenPayroll, Inc.” (Gusto) and our account number 6000008955, then click Search.
  9. Once you’ve located our company, click Submit.

Note: Use your current mailing address from the dropdown menu under the “Current Selection” section. This will route all mail correspondence to your business address.

The Department of Job and Family Services also has a video that will walk you through this process.


Thanks so much for your feedback!

Did this article solve your problem?