Switch your employee to hourly or salaried
If your hourly employee is changing to a salaried employee (or vice versa), update this in Gusto.
- Click the People tab.
- Click your employee’s name.
- Navigate to the Job & Pay tab.
- Click Edit next to the Compensation section.
- Next to Employee Type, select Salary/No Overtime, Salary/Eligible for Overtime, or Paid by the Hour. Check out this resource for more info on classifying your employee.
- Update the compensation rate or default hours per pay period if applicable.
- Click Save.
Note: If you are using multiple pay schedules, there may be a gap or overlap in the employee's hours for this payroll.
If there is a gap between the employee's old and new pay schedules, please process an off-cycle payroll for the in-between dates with the prorated amount. If there is an overlap, you will need to edit the pay on the employee's next regular payroll with the reduced prorated amount.