Register in Illinois
Illinois Tax Agencies
- Illinois Department of Revenue - income tax withholding
- Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) - unemployment tax
Set up an existing company
The Department of Revenue will issue you an income tax withholding account. This account number will include your EIN, and you can find it on your Illinois Withholding Income Tax Return (IL-941).
Your Unemployment account number and your Illinois UI Contribution Rate will be on the Notice of Contribution Rate that you receive from the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) each year. Please note your unemployment tax number is NOT the same as your FEIN. It ranges from 0.55% to 7.35%, with a wage base of $12,960. When entering your UI Contribution Rate, please be sure to include the Fund Builder Rate of 0.55%. If you're unsure about your rate, please call the agency at (800)247-4984.
Register a new company
Income tax withholding
- Register with the Illinois Department of Revenue online and enter the information that they request.
- You'll be able to register using your Federal EIN. Your account number will include your Federal EIN, so Gusto will automatically populate your Illinois Taxpayer ID with it after you finish the Federal Tax Setup step.
Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they pay at least $1,500 in wages in a single calendar quarter or employed one or more persons for 20 weeks in a given calendar year. You can check your liability with the IDES online.
- Register online with Illinois Taxnet.
- You'll instantly be issued an Unemployment Account Number in the format of XXXXXXX-X. Please note your unemployment tax number is NOT the same as your FEIN. The last digit of your Unemployment number is called the check digit and the department will often omit it from correspondence. If you don't receive it, please reach out to the department at (800)247-4984 to request it.
- The unemployment rate for new employers varies by industry, but is generally between 3.45%–3.65%, which includes the 0.55% Fund Builder Rate.