Register in Minnesota
Minnesota Tax Agencies
- Minnesota Department of Revenue - income tax withholding
- Unemployment Insurance Minnesota- unemployment tax
Set up an existing company
If you've run payroll in MN in the past, you can find your MN Withholding Tax ID number on notices received from the Minnesota Department of Revenue or you can call the agency at (651)282-9999. You can also log into your Minnesota Department of Revenue E-Services account to find your number.
If you've run payroll in MN in the past, you can find your MN Employer Account Number by logging into your Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Account. It is also on the Determination of Tax Rate notice that you received from Unemployment Insurance Minnesota. Minnesota Employer Account Numbers are now issued as a zero "0" followed by 7-digits. If you have an older Account Number it may not have the "0". If so, just enter the 7-digit ID that you have.
UI Tax Rate: Your UI Tax Rate can be found by logging into your Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Account, clicking Account Maintenance, and then clicking View Tax Rate Notice. The rate ranges from 0.2%–9.1% with a wage base of $32,000. If you're unsure of your rate, you can always call the agency at (651)296-6141 to verify your rate.
Register a new company
Income tax withholding
- Register with Minnesota Department of Revenue online.
- Start the process by clicking Begin the Registration Process and follow the prompts.
- You should receive your account number instantly after registering.
Most companies who have paid at least $20 in wages to employees during a calendar quarter will be liable for state unemployment. To check if you are liable and register, follow the steps below.
- Register with Unemployment Insurance Minnesota online and select the option for Employers and Agents.
- For detailed step-by-step instructions, please visit the Minnesota Employer User Guide.
- Please remember to add your first date of wages either during registration or once you find out what your first date of wages will be. Gusto may not be able to file on your behalf if this information has not been entered.
- You should receive your Employer Account Number instantly after registering online.
- For new employers in MN, check out this resource for the new employer rates. New employer rates (including Workforce Development Assessment tax) typically range from 1.64%–8.54%.
Third party agent registration - income tax
In order for Gusto to file and pay your MN Revenue Taxes, you will need to grant Gusto third party access. We will request your approval, and you will then be prompted on your dashboard to approve us as your TPA. You can follow the instructions provided via email from the Minnesota Department of Revenue or follow the steps below:
- Log in to your account with Minnesota Department of Revenue E-Services
- Click on the Accounts tab to see if you already have a "Withholding" Account Type listed. If this is listed, proceed to Step 3. If this is not listed, then follow these instructions:
- Click the Taxpayer Information tab
- Click Open New Account
- Check the "Withholding Tax" checkbox, and click Next
- Enter the first day of the current quarter as the "Account Begin Date" (i.e. January 1st for the 1st quarter)
- Answer No from the drop-down menu if you are "Registering as a Third-Party Bulk Filer", and click Next
- Click Submit
- The withholding account should be open within a few minutes. To view the status of your request, click the History tab
Troubleshooting Gusto TPA registration, income tax
To help us successfully gain TPA access to your MN DOR Withholding account, please ensure the following have been completed:
- Once you are registered with the MN DOR, please also make sure you have registered for a Withholding account on the MN DOR website. Although the account numbers will be the same, these do require separate setup.
- You have removed all previous third party agents from gaining access to your existing account.
- You have selected the appropriate start and end dates of our access to your account.
- Example: If you've joined Gusto in the middle of the 1st quarter, the start date for giving us TPA access should be January 1st. This ensures that Gusto will pay and file your 1st quarter taxes.
When in doubt, you can also verify this information with the MN DOR by calling them at (651)282-9999.
Third party agent registration - unemployment tax
In order for Gusto to file and pay your MN Unemployment Tax, you will need to login to the Minnesota Unemployment Insurance System and authorize Gusto as your agent. You will need permanent credentials with MN UI to do this.
- Login to your account with Minnesota Unemployment Insurance System.
- Click Account Maintenance.
- Click Agent Authorization.
- Click New.
- Type in Gusto's Agent ID: AG014761
- Note: Gusto’s legal business name, Zenpayroll, may populate as the Agent Name once the ID is entered — proceed with registration.
- Enter in today's date as the Effective Begin Date.
- In the Available Roles section, please select the following three roles for Gusto to perform:
- Account Maintenance, Update and Submit
- Tax Payment, Update and Submit
- Wage Detail Update and Submit
- Benefit Account, Update and Submit
- Benefits Paid Charges, Update and Submit
- Any View Only Roles
Troubleshoot Department of Revenue and Unemployment Insurance authorization issues
Department of Revenue
Some agencies require special authorization for Gusto to pay or file your taxes. To gain authorization in Minnesota, you must approve Gusto’s request to access your account online.
To ensure the success of the request, please login to your e-services account and verify that you have added the ‘withholding’ tax type to your account. Also verify that the following information you have entered into Gusto matches what is on file with the Minnesota Department of Revenue:
- FEIN - Federal Employment Identification Number
- Withholding Tax Account ID
If Gusto is having trouble gaining access to your account, please verify that the above information matches exactly what the agency has on file by giving them a call at (651) 282-9999.
To ensure successful authorization of Gusto, please verify that the following information you have entered into Gusto matches what is on file with the agency:
- FEIN - Federal Employment Identification Number
- Employer Account Number
Please make sure you have also assigned us the necessary roles as a Third Party Administrator. See step 7 of "Third party agent registration - unemployment tax" above.
If Gusto is having trouble gaining access to your account, please verify that the above information matches exactly what the agency has on file by giving them a call at (651) 296-6141.