Register in New Hampshire

New Hampshire tax agency

  • New Hampshire Employment Security (NHES) - unemployment tax

Set up an existing company

If you've run payroll in New Hampshire previously, you can find your NHES Employer Number on notices received from the NHES such as the Letter of Determination or Quarterly Tax and Wage Report. You can also call the agency to obtain your number at (603) 228-4038. 

UI Tax Rate: Your UI Tax Rate will appear on the Tax Rate Determination letter that you received from NH Employment Security. It should range from 0.1%–7.5% with a wage base of $14,000. You will also be assigned an Administrative Contribution rate (AC rate) of 0.2%. If you’re unsure of your rates, verify by calling the agency at (603) 224-3311. 

Register a new company

Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they have one or more workers in different weeks in a calendar year, payroll of $1,500 in a calendar quarter, or they are liable under the Federal Unemployment Tax Act. You can register with New Hampshire Employment Security (NHES) online in order to obtain a State Unemployment Account Number and tax rates. You should receive this number within 2 weeks of registering online. You may also call the day after registering to receive this number sooner over the phone. If you have any questions about the registration process, you should call the agency at (603) 224-3311. 

UI and AC Tax Rates: Your rates will appear on the Tax Rate Determination letter that you receive from New Hampshire Employment Security. The UI rate for new employers is typically 1.70%. Your AC rate will be 0.2%. If you’re unsure, verify your rates by calling the agency at (603) 224-3311. 


Thanks so much for your feedback!

Did this article solve your problem?