Register in New Mexico

New Mexico tax agencies

  • New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department- income tax withholding
  • New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions- unemployment tax

Set up an existing company

Income tax withholding

If you've run payroll in New Mexico in the past, you can find your CRS Identification Number on Form CRS-1, as well as other notices received from the New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department. If you're unsure of your number, you should call the agency at (505) 827-0700.

Unemployment tax

You'll find your Employer Account Number (EAN) on notices received from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions, such as the Quarterly Wage and Contribution Report. If you are unsure, you can always call the agency at (877) 664-6984.

Your NM Total Tax Rate can be found on the Employer Contribution Rate notice that you received from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions. It ranges from 0.33%–5.4% with a wage base of $24,200 in 2018. If you are unsure, please call the agency at (877) 664-6984.

Register a new company

Income tax withholding

Register with the New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department onlineClick Apply for a CRS ID under "Businesses." You should receive your account number and tax deposit schedule the same day after registering online. If you have any questions about the process, you should call the agency at (505) 827-0700.

Unemployment tax

Typically companies in New Mexico become eligible to receive an Unemployment Employer Account Number (EAN) once they have paid $450 of wages in a calendar quarter OR employ at least one person in any part of the week for 20 weeks within a calendar year.

Once you are eligible, you may register with the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions online. You should receive your Employer Account Number and tax rate instantly after registering. For new employers, the rate varies from 1%–1.87%, depending on the industry. You can also call the agency at (877) 664-6984 to inquire about your account number and rate.

Workers' Compensation Assessment Fee

The New Mexico Workers’ Compensation Act supports the regulation of Workers’ Compensation Assessment Fee in New Mexico. It is separate from your Workers’ Compensation insurance policy. Currently, employers with 3 or more active New Mexico employees are required to be covered and pay the Workers’ Compensation Assessment Fee. Find out more info from the New Mexico Workers’ Compensation Administration site.

Third party access (TPA) for withholding tax 

Gusto will attempt to access your withholding account online. If we are unable to view your account using the information we have on file, we will notify you and request some more info (zip code, last payment amount, or most recent total tax due).

Third party access (TPA) for unemployment tax 

Please use the following instructions seen in this guide to assign a third party agent.

Gusto's TPA ID is: 500001831.

  • Note: Gusto’s legal business name, Zenpayroll, may populate as the Agent Name once the ID is entered — proceed as instructed.

Make sure to set the TPA start date to the beginning of the Quarter that you are starting with Gusto: Q1 - 1/1, Q2 - 4/1, Q3 - 7/1, Q4 - 10/1.

Assign us with the following roles so that we can correctly make tax payments and filings on your behalf:

  • Account Maintenance Update and Submit
  • Payments Update and Submit
  • Employment and Wage Detail Update and Submit

If you are switching from another provider, you must un-assign roles from your previous provider and assign roles to us.


Thanks so much for your feedback!

Did this article solve your problem?