Register in Oregon

Oregon tax agency

Set up an existing company

Income tax withholding and unemployment tax

Business that have run payroll in Oregon previously can find their BIN on any notice received from the Department of Revenue. If your number is 9 digits with a leading 0, please leave off this 0 when entering the number in Gusto. If you're unsure of your number, you should call the agency at (503) 945-8091.

Unemployment tax rate

Your Overall Tax Rate appears on the top right of the Notice of Tax Rate you would have received from the Employment Department. It generally ranges from 0.9%–5.4% with a wage base of $39,300 in 2018. If you're unsure of your rate you should call the agency at (503) 947-1488.

Register a new company

Income tax withholding and unemployment tax

Most companies are liable for state unemployment tax when they pay $1,000 or more in payroll in a calendar quarter or have one or more employees in each of 18 weeks during a calendar year. You can find out if you are liable and register online with the Central Business Registry. You should receive your BIN in 3-5 days after registering online, 7-10 days if registering by mail, or same day if registering in person. You will also receive your unemployment tax rate. Your BIN number will either be 8 or 9 digits. If it is 9 digits with a leading 0, please leave this 0 off when entering in Gusto.

Unemployment tax rate

If you're a new employer in the State of Oregon your rate will generally be 2.4% in 2018. If you're unsure of your rate, call the agency at (503) 947-1488.

TriMet and LTD Excise tax

An excise tax is also mandatory for most employers in the Tri-County Metropolitan Transportation District (TriMet) and the Lane Transit District (LTD).  See here for more information.

NEW: In July 2018, there will be a new statewide transit tax. Learn more here.

South Clackamas tax

If your business is located in South Clackamas you will be given a 4-digit tax ID by the South Clackamas Transportation District. If you're unsure of your ID, please call the agency at (503) 829-7000


Thanks so much for your feedback!

Did this article solve your problem?