Register in Utah

Utah tax agencies

  • Utah State Tax Commission - income tax withholding
  • Utah Department of Workforce Services - unemployment tax

Set up an existing company

Income tax withholding

If you've run payroll in Utah previously, you can find your account ID on notices that you've received from the State Tax Commission. If you're unsure, you should call the agency at (801) 297-2200. You can also find your Employer Registration Number on any notices you've received.

Unemployment tax

Your UI rate will appear on the top right of the Contribution Rate Notice you would have received from the Department of Workforce Services. It generally ranges from 0.1%–7.1%. If you're unsure of what your rate is, you should call the agency at (801) 526-9235.

Register a new company

Visit the OneStop Online Business Registration to register for both tax agencies in Utah. You will receive a temporary account number instantly after registering online, but do not enter this into Gusto. Your permanent number and deposit schedule will arrive in about 2 weeks, and this is what you should enter in your Gusto account. If you have any questions about the registration process, you should call the agency at (801) 983-0275.

Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they have one or more employees for some portion of a day in a current or previous year or have paid $1500 payroll in a calendar quarter. If your company is liable, you will receive your Employer Registration Number and Unemployment Tax Rate (also referred to as your Unemployment Contribution Rate) once you have completed the online business registration. It generally ranges from 1.1%–5.5% for new employers. If you're unsure of what your rate is, you should call the agency at (801) 526-9235.


Thanks so much for your feedback!

Did this article solve your problem?