Register in Vermont

Vermont tax agencies

  • Vermont Department of Taxes - income tax withholding
  • Vermont Department of Labor (DOL) - unemployment tax

Set up an existing company

If you've run payroll in Vermont previously, you can find your Withholding Account Number on notices received from the Vermont Department of Taxes or by calling the agency at (802) 828-6802.

You can find your Unemployment account number and rate on notices received from the Vermont Department of Labor such as the Contribution Rate Notice or Quarterly Wage & Contribution Report (Form C-101). The rate generally ranges from 1.3%–8.4% with a wage base of $17,300. You can also call the agency at (802) 828-4344 to inquire about your number.

Register a new company

Income tax withholding

Register with the Secretary of State online. During this process, you will also need to register for a Business Tax account to obtain your Withholding Account Number and filing frequency. Here are some helpful instructions and a link to the website: Vermont Department of Taxes. If you have any questions about the process give them a call at (802) 828-6802.

You should receive your account number in 5-7 days after registering online. Alternatively, your request will be processed in 10 business days if registering by mail or fax. Please keep this time frame in mind when planning your first Vermont payroll.

Unemployment tax

Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they have one or more employees in each of at least 20 different weeks in a calendar year or pay $1500 payroll in any calendar quarter. You can find out if you are liable and register with the Vermont Department of Labor online to obtain an Employer Account number. You should receive your number and tax rate in 2 weeks after registering online.

Unemployment Tax Rate: The tax rate for new employers is typically 1% except for specific industries such as construction. To confirm your rate, you should call the agency at (802) 828-4344.

Power of Attorney (POA) Form

Before Gusto can file and pay your VT Unemployment Tax, the Vermont Department of Labor (DOL) requires that you submit a notarized Power of Attorney (POA) form. Please notarize the pre-filled POA form that appears in the "Vermont Tax Setup" page.

After notarizing the POA, please mail it to Gusto at the following address:

ATTN: Tax Ops - Audit Team
500 Third Street, Suite 405
San Francisco, CA 94107


Thanks so much for your feedback!

Did this article solve your problem?