Register in Arkansas
Arkansas tax agencies
- Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration - income tax withholding
- Arkansas Department of Workforce Services - unemployment tax
Set up an existing company
If you've run payroll in Arkansas previously, you can find your Withholding Account ID on Payment Vouchers received from the agency. If you're unsure of your number you can call the agency at (501) 682-7290.
You can find your DWS ID (for unemployment tax) on Rate Notices of the Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (Form DWS-ARK-209B) received from the Arkansas Department of Workforce Services.
Experience Rate: The AR Experience Rate appears on the Rate Notice that you receive from the Arkansas Dept. of Workforce Services as well. This tax can range from 0.4%–14.3%, and it has a wage base of $12,000.
If you're unsure of your account number or rate you can call the agency at (501) 682-3798.
Register a new company
Register with the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration to receive your DFA Account ID. A helpful tutorial for this can be found here.
- Go to the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration Arkansas Taxpayer Access Point (ATAP).
- Click on New Business Registration under "Other" to first register your business with the state and obtain a tax account ID.
- Once you have your tax account ID, navigate back to the ATAP login page, and click Sign Up.
You should receive your DFA Account ID and deposit schedule by mail in 1-2 weeks. Please keep this time frame in mind when planning your first Arkansas payroll. If you have any questions you should call the agency at (501) 682-7290.
If you employ one or more workers in a calendar year or pay $1,000 or more to an employee in a quarter you will be liable for state unemployment tax. You will register to pay this with the Arkansas Department of Workforce Services by completing the online registration here. It should take about 5 minutes to complete, and you'll receive a confirmation via email.
Experience Rate: The AR Experience Rate appears on the Rate Notice that you receive from the Arkansas Dept. of Workforce Services. New employers should complete the employer registration process to get their new employer rate, which is generally 3.2%, with a wage base of $12,000. If you're unsure, verify your rate by calling the agency at (501) 682-3798.
Employees in Texarkana
If your business has employees who live in Texarkana, Arkansas, or who live in Texarkana, Texas and work in Texarkana, Arkansas, they qualify for an exemption from Arkansas withholding tax.
If either of these scenarios applies to your business, please have each eligible employee sign Form AR4EC(TX). You should also let the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration know that you have at least one exempt employee. Please email email@example.com the following information:
- Subject: Requesting AR-TX Exemption Forms
- Body: Hello - My business has at least one employee who qualifies for the Texarkana withholding exemption. Can you please provide me with any forms that I need, and note this exemption for the DFA records?
- Business Name:__________
- Business FEIN:___________
- Withholding Account Number:________
- Business Address:_________