Register in Kentucky
You will need to register with these agencies in order for Gusto to file and pay your state taxes.
- Kentucky Department of Revenue - withholding tax
- Kentucky Office of Employment and Training - unemployment tax
Kentucky Department of Revenue
- The Kentucky Department of Revenue will issue you a Withholding Tax Account Number and a deposit schedule for your state income taxes.
- Your account number will be 6 digits. If you have a 9 digit number with 3 leading zeroes, please leave the zeroes off.
- The agency will assign you a deposit schedule of semi-monthly, monthly, quarterly, or annually.
- Existing businesses: The account number will be on any return (K-1, K-1E, K-3 and K-3E) sent from the Kentucky Department of Revenue.
- New businesses: Register online with the Kentucky Department of Revenue. Once on the page, select Begin Registration. You should receive your account number and deposit schedule in 1-2 days after registering online. Alternatively, your request will be processed in 5-7 days if registering by mail.
- Need help? Visit the agency website or give them a call at (502) 564-7287.
Kentucky Office of Employment and Training
- The Kentucky Office of Employment and Training will issue you a UI Kentucky Employer Identification Number (KEIN) number.
- This is a 9 digit number (XX-XXXXXX-X), usually with two leading zeros. Please enter in the zeros.
- Most companies are liable for state unemployment if they have paid $1500 in wages in a calendar quarter or had one employee in any part of 20 different weeks in a calendar year.
- Existing businesses: The KEIN account number will be on your Quarterly Unemployment Report (Form UI-3).
- New businesses: To get your account number, register online with the Kentucky Office of Employment and Training.
- Your UI Rate appears next to the "UI Rate" section of the Notice of Contribution Rate that you receive from the KY Division of Unemployment Insurance. Please do not include the UI Tax Surcharge Rate, as this is automatically calculated by Gusto. Your rate may change from time to time, usually annually. Please make sure to update your rate in your Gusto account if the agency sends you a notice of rate change.
- Generally the UI rate for a new employer is 2.70% except for the construction industry which is typically 9.00 - 10.00%.
- Need help? Visit the agency website or give them a call at (502) 564-2272.
Troubleshoot Department of Revenue authorization issues
Some agencies require special authorization for Gusto to pay or file your taxes.
To ensure successful authorization, please verify that the following information you have entered into Gusto matches what is on file with the Department of Revenue:
- Official company name/address
- FEIN - Federal Employment Identification Number
- Withholding Tax Account Number
If Gusto is having trouble gaining access to your account, please verify that the above information matches exactly what the agency has on file by giving them a call at (502) 564-7287.