Register in Massachusetts
Massachusetts tax agencies
- Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) - income tax withholding
- Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) - unemployment tax
Set up an existing company
If you have previously registered with the Department of Revenue your account number will be your FEIN. The Department of Revenue also accepts another number format (WTH-000...), but Gusto will use your FEIN. If you are unsure if you have registered or what your deposit schedule is, you should call the agency at (617) 887-6367.
Your Massachusetts UI Account Number and Contribution Rate appears on the notice that you receive from the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) each year. If you are unsure of your account number or rate you should call the agency at (617) 626-5075. The rate ranges from 1.646%–13.466% with a wage base of $15,000.
Register a new company
Income tax withholding
Go to the MassTax Connect website and do the following:
- Click on Register a new taxpayer.
- Click on Register a business.
- Click Next.
- Select I am registering a business, organization, or other entity.
- Click Next, and follow the remaining instructions.
After you register with the DOR, you will receive an account ID and deposit schedule. The DOR accepts both your FEIN and another format (WTH-000...). Gusto will use your FEIN. If you have questions about this process, contact the DOR at (617) 887-6367.
Go to the DUA website, click on Employer Login and then Employer Registration on the top left. Once you have registered, you should instantly receive a UI Account Number and a UI Contribution Rate. When entering your UI Contribution Rate, please do not include the Workforce Training Rate.
For more guidance, follow the DUA’s step-by-step instruction guide. For 2018, the rate ranges from 2.946%–7.116% with a wage base of $15,000. If you're unsure about your rate, it is best to call the agency at (617) 626-5075.
Add Gusto as a Third Party Administrator (TPA)
This step is required for all Gusto clients, and gives us the permission to file and pay taxes on your behalf. It only takes a few minutes and is 100% online, please follow the instructions:
- Log in to the DUA Quest system
- Click on the Third Party Administrator (TPA) Authorization link on the bottom right corner of the screen
- Click New at the bottom of the screen, and input Gusto’s TPA ID: 102976
- Choose today’s day as the "Beginning Date", and leave "End Date" blank.
- Click Add Roles and select:
- Account Maintenance, Update and Submit
- Payments, Update and Submit
- Employment and Wage Detail, Update and Submit
- EMAC Supplement View Only
- Benefit Charges Protest Submission
- Wage and Separation Mailing
- Any View Only Roles Account Maintenance, Update and Submit
For further details, follow the DUA’s step-by-step instruction guide. To contact the DUA call (617) 626-5075.
Troubleshoot Labor and Workforce Development authorization issues
Some agencies require special authorization for Gusto to pay or file your taxes.
To ensure successful authorization, please verify that the following information you have entered into Gusto matches what is on file with the Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development:
- Official company name/address
- FEIN - Federal Employment Identification Number
- Unemployment Account Number
Please make sure you have also assigned us the necessary roles as a Third Party Administrator. See step 5 of "Add Gusto as a TPA" above.
If Gusto is having trouble gaining access to your account, please verify that the above information matches exactly what the agency has on file by giving them a call at (617) 626-5075.