Switch to Gusto from a PEO

A PEO (Professional Employer Organization) is an organization that has a co-employer relationship with a business. PEOs typically file and pay payroll taxes for a business using the PEO's own EIN and tax IDs. This means when you switch from a PEO to Gusto, it's always a fresh start! If your past payrolls were processed with the PEO's EIN and account numbers, you will not have to enter in any historical payrolls when onboarding with us. 

What to obtain

You will need to register for your own EIN and state tax accounts if you do not already have these in place. These will be necessary to complete the setup process with Gusto.

When to switch

If the PEO used their own EIN and state tax accounts to process your payroll, you can switch over to Gusto at any time. The smoothest transition is typically at the beginning of a new quarter or new year after you have obtained your own EIN and state tax accounts needed for payroll. 

Note: If the PEO used some or all of your company's own tax ID numbers for payroll, you can only switch over to Gusto at the beginning of a new quarter. This will prevent two quarterly filings from being submitted to tax agencies on behalf of your business (one from the PEO and one from Gusto), which is not allowed by the IRS. 


Thanks so much for your feedback!

Did this article solve your problem?