Upload custom documents
Hiring an employee often comes with a lot of paperwork. Gusto helps you digitally manage all the documents your employees need. You can upload PDF versions of documents and we'll help create templates for your employees to sign and fill out. Once a document has been uploaded, templated by Gusto, and has your approval, you can make it available for new hires or to all existing employees to fill out.
Types of documents we typically support
- Employee handbooks
- IP agreements
Types of documents we do not support
- Employment agreements
- Offer letters
- Tax forms, including state withholding forms
- Documents containing checkboxes or radio buttons
Step 1. Upload your document
- Navigate to the Documents tab.
- Click +Add Document.
- Click Employee document.
- Select the file you would like to upload.
- Upload one document at a time.
- Make sure that your document is in PDF format.
Step 2. Approve your template
- If you have a document that needs to be filled out, we'll email you when your template is ready for review.
- Navigate back to the Documents tab.
- Click Review Template next to the document you would like to review.
- Within the pop up box, click on the name of the document to download and review it. When reviewing, make sure to check:
- The employee's name.
- The text in brackets - this is what your employee will see when they sign the document.
- The text placement - this is where the content will be written in the document.
- If you are satisfied with the template, click Approve Document.
- If you need us to make some changes, click Wait, there's a problem. Please include a note to our team about the issue so we can best assist you.
- Once you have approved the document, you'll have two options depending on who you made the document available for:
- New hires: The document will be stored in your account and available for you to send to new hires during onboarding.
- Existing employees: The document will be sent immediately to all of your existing employees.