How can we help?

Find your Alabama tax account info

You will need to register with these agencies in order for Gusto to file and pay your state taxes.

  • Alabama Department of Revenue - income tax withholding
  • Alabama Department of Labor - unemployment tax
  • Local Alabama tax agencies

Withholding Tax Account Number: If you've run payroll in Alabama in the past, you can find your Withholding Tax Account Number on withholding tax coupons or return of income tax withheld (Form A-1). If you're unsure of your account number, you can call the agency at (334) 242-1584.

Unemployment Account Number: You can find your Unemployment Account Number on the Tax Rate Notice (Form UC-216F) or the Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (Form UC-CR4). You can also call the agency at (334) 242-8830 to obtain the rate. 

Power of Attorney: Before Gusto can file and pay your Alabama Unemployment Tax, the Alabama Department of Labor (DOL) requires that you submit a notarized Power of Attorney (POA) form. Please notarize the pre-filled POA form that appears in the "Alabama Tax Setup" page.

After notarizing the POA:

  1. Fax it to the Alabama DOL at (334) 956-7496. 
  2. Mail it to Gusto at the address below.

ATTN: Tax Ops - Audit Team


1201 16th Street, Suite 350

Denver, CO 80202

Tax Rate: Please do not include the ESA. The AL Tax Rate appears in Box 6 of the Tax Rate Notice received from the Alabama Dept. of Labor. Click here to view state-by-state UI rates and wage bases. If you're unsure, verify your rate by calling the agency at (334) 242-8830.

ESA: The Employment Security Enhancement Assessment (ESA) is usually 0.06%. It is included on Box 7 of the Tax Rate Notice received from the Alabama Dept. of Labor. Please be sure to exclude this number from the Tax Rate.

Payroll, benefits, HR and more.