How can we help?

New company registration in Kansas

Kansas tax agencies

  • Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) - income tax withholding
  • Kansas Department of Labor (DOL) - unemployment tax

Register a new company

Income tax withholding

Sign up with the Kansas Department of Revenue. Click Sign Up at the top to get started. Call the agency at (785) 368-8222 a few days after registering to receive your account number and deposit schedule. Alternatively, you may register by mail. Your request will be processed in 3 to 5 days if registering by mail. Please keep this time frame in mind when planning your first Kansas payroll.

When registering with the DOR you will need some info about Gusto to complete the application. Please email and we will provide these details. 

Unemployment tax

Most companies are liable for unemployment tax when they have one employee working any portion of a day in 20 different weeks in a calendar year or have paid $1500 in payroll in a calendar quarter. You can find out if you are liable and register online with the Kansas Department of Labor. You should receive your account number and contribution rate instantly after registering online, or in 2-3 weeks if mailing in a registration form.

Contribution Rate: The new employer tax rate is generally 2.7% but can range from 1% to 6%. If you're unsure of what your Contribution Rate is, you should call the agency at (785) 296-5027 to get it.