How can we help?

New company registration in Maryland

Maryland tax agencies

  • Comptroller of Maryland - income tax withholding
  • Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR) - unemployment tax 

Register a new company

Income tax withholding

Register with the Comptroller of Maryland online to obtain both your Central Registration Number (CRN) and your Employer Account Number. Click Begin Registration at the bottom of the website to get started. You should receive your Central Registration Number in about 7 days after registering online, or in 2 weeks if registering by mail. You may also call (800) 638-2937 or email after 5 days to receive your CRN earlier. Please keep this time frame in mind when planning your first Maryland payroll. 

Unemployment tax rate

Your MD Unemployment Tax Rate appears in the "Contribution Rate" box of the Experience Rate Notice from the Maryland DLLR. New employers will need to complete the registration to receive their new employer rate, which is usually either 2.6% (or 4.8% for construction companies). If you are unsure of your rate, you can call the agency at 1 (800) 492-5524 and press 1 and then 6.