How can we help?

New company registration in New Mexico

New Mexico tax agencies

  • New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department- income tax withholding
  • New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions- unemployment tax

Register a new company

Income tax withholding

Register with the New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department onlineClick Apply for a CRS ID under "Businesses."You should receive your account number and tax deposit schedule the same day after registering online. If you have any questions about the process, you should call the agency at (505) 827-0700.

Unemployment tax

Typically companies in New Mexico become eligible to receive an Unemployment Employer Account Number (EAN) once they have paid $450 of wages in a calendar quarter OR employ at least one person in any part of the week for 20 weeks within a calendar year.

Once you are eligible, you may register with the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions online. You should receive your Employer Account Number and tax rate instantly after registering. For new employers the rate is typically 1%, but may vary depending on the industry. You can also call the agency at (877) 664-6984 to inquire about your account number and rate.

Workers' Compensation Assessment Fee

The New Mexico Workers’ Compensation Act supports the regulation of Workers’ Compensation Assessment Fee in New Mexico. It is separate from your Workers’ Compensation insurance policy. Currently, employers with 3 or more active employees (even if only one employee is working in New Mexico, and even if some of your workers are contractors and/or temporary workers) are required to be covered and pay the Workers’ Compensation Assessment Fee. The fee is calculated based on the number of covered workers at the end of each quarter. Find out more info about required coverage from the New Mexico Workers’ Compensation Administration site.

To have Gusto pay your New Mexico Workers' Assessment Fee, update your "New Mexico Workers Comp. Act Coverage" to "Covered" in Gusto:

  1. Click Company Details.
  2. Scroll to the headline "New Mexico Tax Setup."
  3. Click Manage Taxes.
  4. Scroll to "State Tax Settings."
  5. Click edit next to "Worker's Comp. Act Coverage."
  6. Select Covered for the New Mexico Workers Comp. Act Coverage.
  7. Click Save.

Third party access (TPA) for withholding tax 

Gusto will attempt to access your withholding account online. If we are unable to view your account using the information we have on file, we will notify you and request some more info (zip code, last payment amount, or most recent total tax due).

Third party access (TPA) for unemployment tax 

Please use the following instructions seen in this guide to assign a third party agent.

Gusto's TPA ID is: 500001831.

  • Note: Gusto’s legal business name, Zenpayroll, may populate as the Agent Name once the ID is entered — proceed as instructed.

Make sure to set the TPA start date to the beginning of the Quarter that you are starting with Gusto: Q1 - 1/1, Q2 - 4/1, Q3 - 7/1, Q4 - 10/1.

Assign us with the following roles so that we can correctly make tax payments and filings on your behalf:

  • Account Maintenance Update and Submit
  • Payments Update and Submit
  • Employment and Wage Detail Update and Submit

If you are switching from another provider, you must un-assign roles from your previous provider and assign roles to us.

Payroll, benefits, HR and more.