North Carolina registration and tax info

Before you can pay employees, make sure you've registered for payroll in their applicable work state. This can sometimes take several weeks—the sooner you start the process, the sooner you'll have the tax account info required to pay them. 

Gusto partners with CorpNet to help you register in the state—learn more below.

If you've already registered in the state, you'll need to enter your tax account details in Gusto in order to pay employees. Learn where to find your tax account information by clicking The company is already registered with the state below.

Employees in NC must use the NC-4 or the NC-EZ to determine their state withholding allowance total. North Carolina’s FAQ page can help you (or them) determine which form may be best to use. 

According to North Carolina instructions, employers are required to send the NC-4NC-EZ, or NC-NRA to the North Carolina Department of Revenue—learn more below.