How can we help?

Overview of the onboarding process

These are the steps you'll need to take when you're setting up your account. For contractor-only accounts, some of the steps below will not be required.

  1. Add your addresses
    • Mailing address - location where you can receive mail from the government.
      • In Street 2: Optional - Add any additional instructions such as "attention:" or "In care of" here. 
    • Filing address - location you have on file with the IRS from when you registered your business.
      • Do not include your company name or special mailing instructions here, such as "attention" or "in care of."
    • Work addresses - locations where your employees are physically performing their work.
      • In Street 1, do not include special mailing instructions such as "attention" or "in care of."
      • In Street 2: Optional, you can include any additional instructions such as "attention:" or "In care of."
    • If you are registering a new business, you can find your mailing address on Form SS-4 on line 4 and your filing address on line 5.If you have run payroll previously, your filing address can be found on Form 941.
  2. Enter your employees’ or contractors' personal info
    • Legal name
    • Compensation
    • Email address
    • What about the employee’s address, SSN, and more? You don’t have to enter it. We can collect that info from them directly via online self-onboarding. We will also employees sign Form I-9 and Form W-4.
  3. Enter your Federal tax info
    • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
      • Do not use your Social Security Number here. Federal returns and tax payments will reject if an incorrect FEIN is provided.
    • Deposit schedule will default to semi-weekly.
    • Company type - such as Sole Proprietorship or S-Corporation.
    • Legal entity name
      • This should be your official name on record with the IRS. For Sole proprietorships, this is typically your first and last name.
    • You can find your FEIN and legal entity name on form CP-575. You can find your deposit schedule on form CP-136.
  4. State tax account numbers (not required for contractor-only accounts).
    • These depend on the states where you have employees working.
    • You’ll need to enter any income tax withholding and local tax accounts before running payroll, but in most cases you will obtain your unemployment tax account after beginning to process payroll. 
    • If you are switching from another provider, you can find your account numbers on previously filed returns for your state. Check out this resource for a list of forms associated with your state.
  5. Add your company bank account.
    • You can find your routing and account number on a check or in your online banking portal.
  6. Select a pay schedule (not required for contractor-only accounts).
    • You can choose to pay weekly, every other week, twice a month, or monthly. Check out pay period laws in your state to make sure you setup a compliant schedule.
    • If you have hourly employees, make sure to leave at least four business days between the end of their pay period and their pay date so you have time to record their hours and process payroll.
  7. Enter historical payroll information (not required for contractor-only accounts).
    • Only applicable if switching from another provider mid-year.
    • For the current quarter, gather all paystubs for every employee.
    • For previous quarters in this calendar year, gather payroll summaries for each employee.  
  8. Sign company forms.
    • If you will be signing the forms enter your name, address, and SSN. If someone else will sign them, enter their name and email.
  9. Verify your company bank account.
    • We will ask for your online banking login credentials if you would like to verify instantly. Otherwise, we can send two small test deposits to verify the account.
  10. Enter any unpaid tax liabilities from the current quarter (not required for contractor-only accounts).
    • Only applicable if switching from another provider mid-year.
    • If you are switching in a new quarter, we will only be able to pay your Federal Unemployment tax (FUTA), which is due annually. You will need to check with your previous provider to see if they have paid your FUTA or if they will be refunding the unpaid liability to you.
    • If you are switching mid-quarter we will be able to pay any unpaid tax liabilities from the current quarter. Check with your previous provider to see what values, if any, they will be refunding to you. 

Payroll, benefits, HR and more.