As a contractor, there are few options for receiving payment from your employer through Gusto at no fee to you. Use the dropdowns below to learn about these options.
Note: At this time, Gusto doesn't support prepaid debit cards for contractor payments. Domestic contractors are not charged to receive payment from their employer.
If you're an admin, head to this article to learn how to pay contractors.
Set up direct deposit for your payments
If you're set up for a check payment method, you can change this to direct deposit from your Gusto account.
Sign into your Gusto account.
- Click the Personal Details tab.
- Next to the Payment Method section, click edit.
- Enter your routing number, account number, account type, and display name.
- Click Save.
- You'll now be paid via direct deposit on future payments that haven't already been processed.
Note: We'll verify your bank account with a test transaction on our end—this doesn't require any action from you. You can view the direct deposit authorization form at any time in your account under the Documents tab.
Change your payment method to check payment
If your payment method is set to direct deposit, you can change this to check directly from your personal Gusto account.
- Go to the Job & pay section of your employee account.
- Next to the bank account you're using for direct deposit, click Edit.
- Click Remove Account.
- If you're an employee, repeat this process if you have multiple bank accounts set up for direct deposit.
- At this time, contractors cannot have multiple bank accounts set up.
You'll now be paid by check on future payrolls. Your employer is responsible for distributing the check to you.
Troubleshoot incorrect direct deposit account numbers
After you've entered your account and routing number for direct deposit payments, we'll verify your bank account with a one cent test transaction.
Verification can take a few days—payments may not go through on payday unless the specific account has been verified.
Bank errors—if we receive a bank error at any point, the bank information may need to be updated and verified. Update the information as soon as possible.
- You and your administrator will be notified we couldn't process the test transaction, and both of you will get additional reminder emails every three business days.
- If no action is taken within 12 business days, we'll return any direct deposit payments back to the company's bank account.
Account number formatting—Gusto accepts alphanumeric routing and account numbers but does not support account numbers with dashes, semicolons, commas, questions marks, etc.
Once the bank account information is updated, we'll automatically resend any payments to the updated direct deposit account in the next few business days.