Follow the steps below to run an off-cycle payroll. If at any point you need to exit to payroll flow, click Save changes for later at the bottom of the page to save this payroll as a draft. The steps to access this draft are the same as below.
- Click the Payroll section and select Run payroll.
- Scroll to "Other payroll options" and select Off-Cycle Payroll.
- Enter a work period.
The timeframe in which the employee worked to earn this payment.
- If you enter a timeframe in which an employee has requested time off, the bonus payroll will include and pay out the time off.
- Off-cycles do not accrue time off.
- Select the check date.
- If you need to run a payroll with a check date in the past to appropriately report missed wages, check out our article on recording past payrolls.
- If you have multiple bank accounts set up, select which bank account you would like to process payroll from.
- If you don't see this option, head to this article to learn more.
- Select if you want deductions and contributions to be included.
- Block all deductions and contributions:
- We won't make any benefit deductions or contributions.
Important: We're unable to turn off 401(k) deductions and contributions due to the requirements of most plans.
- Make all the regular payroll deductions and contributions:
- We'll make all your normal benefit deductions and contributions.
- If your benefits are managed by Gusto, your standard benefit will not automatically be applied unless you choose them to be included.
- Review the tax withholding rates.
- If you want to make a change, click Edit rates under the Tax withholding rates section.
- Next to the employee, click Enter Payment.
- All active employees will show on this list, but only employees that you enter a payment for will get paid.
- Select the name of the people you want to pay, and click Enter Payment to enter their payment details (hours, earnings, payment method, etc).
Gross Earnings: the amount of money your employees receive before any taxes and deductions are taken out.
Net Earnings: the amount of money your employees take home after all deductions have been taken out. This is the money they have in their pocket on payday.
- Click Save & continue.
- Add in any time off or sick hours for the employee(s) selected.
- Click Save & continue.
- Review the details of your payroll. When you're ready, click Submit payroll. If you need to make changes, click Go back.
On the next screen, you'll see a summary of the payroll. From here, you can:
- Return to your Home page
- Click Full Summary to view a downloadable PDF report
- All active employees will show on this report, but only employees that you entered a payment for will get paid.
- Cancel this payroll
You'll receive a confirmation email letting you know that your off-cycle payroll has been processed. If you need to edit the off-cycle payroll, cancel the payroll and rerun it.
Note: If your employee has an active garnishment, you may need to check with the garnishment authority to see if there are specific requirements for garnishing the off-cycle payroll.