How can we help?

New company registration in Colorado

Colorado tax agencies

  • Colorado Department of Revenue
  • Colorado Department of Labor and Employment
  • Local Occupational Privilege Tax (OPT) Agencies

Registered agent

You will need a registered agent and your Federal EIN already in place. You can then apply for your Security of State (SOS) number.

Income and unemployment tax
You can apply for both taxes online with MyBizColorado. This will get you registered with both the Department of Revenue and the Department of Labor and Employment. Once you have registered online, you will receive an instant confirmation followed up by a letter in the mail.
You will be liable for state unemployment if you have paid at least $1500 in wages in a calendar quarter or had at least one employee for a portion of a day in each of 20 different weeks during the current or preceding calendar year.
UI earned rate: The new employer rate is typically between 1.7%-7.48%. Your Unemployment Insurance rate will appear on the Notice of Employer's Tax Rate (Form UITR-7). 
Withholding Credit ID
The withholding credit ID (also called the EFT credit ID) allows us to make electronic payments to the state on your behalf. We will use the withholding account number you provide to obtain the credit ID for your company.
If we are unable to obtain this we will notify you to call the agency at (303) 238-7378 to troubleshoot. Some common reasons we cannot obtain your number include: You have provided an incorrect withholding account number, you have not opened a withholding account under the number provided, the legal name you have provided does not match what is registered with the state.

Occupational Privilege Tax (OPT)

If you have employees working in Denver, Aurora, Sheridan, Glendale, or Greenwood Village you may be liable for OPT.

Occupational Privilege Tax (OPT) is a head tax that includes both an employee and employer tax. Employees making over a threshold amount (varies per agency) a month are taxed  per month and employers are also taxed  per month for each employee. The employer tax per employee applies even if you do not run payroll.

To get a Denver OPT account number, register a new business here or fill out and mail in an application that can be accessed online hereLearn more about how taxation for Denver OPT works here.

Gusto accepts either the Aurora OPT Business License Account Number (issued until 2018) or the Aurora account ID. Register online here - registration time can take 10-14 days. Learn more about how taxation for Aurora OPT works.

To get a Sheridan OPT Business License Account Number and learn more about how this tax works, please register your business with the city.

To get a Glendale OPT account number and learn more about how this tax works, please register your business with the city.

To get a Greenwood Village OPT account number and learn more about how this tax works, please register your business online with the city.  

Third party agent registrations  

Colorado Department of Revenue (Withholding Tax)

In order to add Gusto as your third party agent with the Colorado Department of Revenue, you need to log in to your account through the Revenue Online portal. Navigate to the section titled "How Do I Set Up Third Party Login Access to an Account?" for detailed instructions on how to grant third party access. 

Once logged in using your company's master login, go to Settings then Grant Third Party Access. You will need the following info:

  • Gusto's login = 
  • Access level = ALL ACCESS
  • Access start date = beginning of the first quarter you are running payroll with Gusto (ex. Q1 2019 = 1/1/2019).

Troubleshoot Department of Revenue authorization issues

To ensure successful authorization, please verify that you have added the ‘withholding’ tax type to your account and that the following information you have entered into Gusto matches what is on file with the Colorado Department of Revenue:

  • Official company name/address
  • FEIN - Federal Employment Identification Number
  • Withholding Account Number

If Gusto is having trouble gaining access to your account, please verify that the above information matches exactly what the agency has on file by giving them a call at (303) 238-7378.

City of Aurora

In order to add Gusto as your third party agent with the City of Aurora, you'll need to:

  1. Sign in to your account through the Aurora Tax Portal.
  2. From the home screen, select the Settings button. 
  3. Under the “I Want To” menu, click Third party access and select Grant Access to a Third Party to continue.
  4. This will open an Add Third Party Login screen. Use this to enter Gusto's username "zenpayroll."
  5. Select Yes on the "Include" column for tax type "Occupational Privilege Tax" so that we can file and pay on your behalf.
  6. Click Next and then Submit when finished.